Monday, February 21, 2011

DIY Disaster

I'm not dead. I promise. If only you knew the kind of week I had, you would understand my lack of attention to blogging. Between midterms, two books to make, branding for a company that I'm working for, a wedding invitation along with another logo (as I recently picked up a new client) several DIY projects, trying to be a good wife and keep my sanity all at the same time has been quite the juggle. However, all of those things are blessings in my life and I am grateful for each one of them. Needless to say, I'm sorry for neglecting. However there are some great things in store this week that I can't wait to share.

One event I can't wait to share is my recent DIY disaster. Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself. Right? Well this is one of those times. If you are anything like me, I love looking at DIY projects online. It's inspiring to see what people can create. Sometimes I follow DIY instructions and other times I just make things up as I go (mostly the latter of the two since I'm inpatient). However, if I look at these projects too long, they all begin to look like a fairy godmother sprinkled her majic on the before and after picture. Wa-la! It's done and you don't see all the mess and disaster that happened in between. This DIY project is not one of those. There are no beautiful after pictures. You will see.

It all started in summer when my hands were saying "Do something with us! We need to make something!" I pulled out my fabric box and started cutting squares for a patchwork pillow. Since I don't have a sewing machine it was put together by hand. I planned on using an old feather pillow to stuff the new patchwork one. However, since I don't have a sewing machine, sewing in a zipper seemed impossible. So I decided to cut open the feather pillow, stuff the new one and sew up the hole. First off I made the mistake of stuffing the pillow right before I was going to a party (feathers were all over me!) and little did I know that the fabric was too thin. Let me illustrate my point.
Feathers coming out everywhere! For weeks at that matter. No matter how many times I cleaned it up and pulled them out, more kept coming.
Even my poor owl was having his eye poked out by them.
The backside of the pillow was the worse and my couch was covered in escaped feathers. I hated sitting on that side in fear that the little fuzzies would latch onto me like leaches. I admitted defeat on this DIY project, shoved it in a plastic bag and put it on our hallway closet for another day when I feel like tackling it. Until then, I will forget about the hours of hand stitching and move onto something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment