Saturday, November 27, 2010

hand type

No, your eyes do not deceive you. This is a hand rendered lettering of the font Baskerville. One of my favorite fonts, it has a classic style with the hanging 'g' and a variety of weight between thick and thin. I didn't use any tracing paper to copy the letters, or even type out what it looks like on the computer and see the spacial awareness or height of the letters. All proportions were estimated from observation, lots of erasing and measuring. I was fairly close to the original for not having copied it.

I fell in love with type in my first Typography class. The class was a tough one with a hard to crack teacher and the task of memorizing 50 fonts by sight and the class they belong to. Needless to say, I learned a lot about type along with my love and appreciation growing. One of my favorite parts of the class was experimenting and creating our own type. The object was to create a style of font that embodies a word. Here is mine.


What do you think? Does the thin, dirty strokes embody the meaning of poverty?

1 comment: